How to: Create your own custom ringtone on iPhone
When you’re out with your friends and someones iPhone ring, does everyone get their phone out because of the same ringtone? Do you want to be different and have your own custom ringtone playing every time a close friend rings you?
You’re in the right place, follow us step by step as we help you customise your iPhone.
Before we begin here are a few important things..
Be aware you can’t use DRM-protected files or songs from Apple Music for your ringtone.
The maximum length for an iPhone ringtone is 40 seconds.
You will need the Music app on your Mac to complete this task.
Creating your ringtone file
- Import the file you would like to be your custom ringtone into your Music library.
- Right click on the file and select Get info then select the Options tab.
- In the Start and Stop section enter a 30-second period (we say 30 seconds to be on the safe side of the file not being too large).
- Press OK to save the ringtone, then play the file and preview what your ringtone will sound like.
- Select the ringtone file and click on File>Convert>Create AAC Version
Okay so we now have the ringtone file but how do we export it to your iPhone
- Drag the file from the Music app to a safe location where you can easily find it, we decided to put ours on the desktop.
- Select the file and right click and click ‘Rename’
- Tidy the file name and change the file extension from “ringtonefilename.M4A” to “ringtonefilename.M4R” and press enter
- After pressing enter a message will appear, select “Use .m4r” in the dialog that appears
- Now sync your iPhone to your Mac via cable.
- Select Manually Manage Music, Movies and TV Shows
- Drag your ringtone file into your iPhone, and it has now been exported to your iPhone.
I have the file on my iPhone but can’t access it
We promise you are so close to accessing your custom ringtone now!
- On your device follow these steps Settings > Sound & Haptics > Ringtone
- Your custom ringtone should be at the top of the list
- Select the ringtone and that is it you’ve done it
The next time your in a social group with friends there will be no doubt when your phone rings! We hope you enjoy your custom ringtone